: curl_setopt(): CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION cannot be activated when an open_basedir is set in /home/u448465002/public_html/wp-content/plugins/website-monetization-by-magenet/MagenetLinkAutoinstall.php
on line 241
Bradley McPherson, 28, was at an afterhours Christmas Party last December when he was fatally shot.
The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team believes there are many at the party who can identify the suspect in the shooting.
They are describing the suspected killer as about 6 feet tall, 18-25, medium to large build and dark-skinned. He was wearing a distinctive hoodie, IHIT said in a release Tuesday.
I hope others at the party do the right thing and contact investigators at 1-877-551-4448. People are often critical about charges being laid in so few murder cases.
Yet when people witness events such as McPherson’s shooting, they don’t cooperate with police. We have to change that mentality.
Here’s my story:
A Seattle judge is still sentencing Canadians in the cross-border smuggling operation that landed Rob Shannon in jail for 20 years.
On Friday, Dustin Meehan got a five-month sentence after pleading guilty to working with Shannon, Jody York (pictured above) and Devron Quast in 2006 and 2007. His sentence comes a week after former Hells Angel prospect Justin Harris got three months in jail in the same conspiracy. There are still a few other B.C. charged in this ring that have not surrendered to U.S. authorities, like Rob Sidhu and Ron Lochbaum. Gordy Dahms pleaded guilty last week and will be sentenced in July.
You’ll recall that Meehan was targeted in a murder-for-hire plot thwarted by the Gang Task Force. The other two targets were the late Sandip Duhre and Andre Remeckie. Bacon associate Aleksander Radjenovic was handed an 18-year sentence by Justice Kathleen Ker for conspiracy to commit murder.
According to the Asst. US Attorney’s sentencing memo:
Beginning in the year 2006, and continuing until at least May of 2007, Defendant Dustin T. Meehan knowingly entered into an agreement with co-conspirators Jody York, Robert Shannon, Devron Quast, and others known and unknown, the object of which was to smuggle marijuana across the international border between the United States and Canada, for profit.
Specifically, in furtherance of this conspiracy Meehan agreed to assist the conspiracy obtain marijuana that was smuggled into the United States from Canada. Meehan associated with a father/son team who was in charge of transporting marijuana to the United States from Canada. He supplied marijuana to the father/son team, knowing that the marijuana he supplied would be smuggled across the international border between
the United States and Canada, on behalf of the Shannon/York/Quast organization.
Meehan’s role in the conspiracy was to obtain and provide marijuana to the conspiracy on three separate occasions to the father/son team beginning in the year 2006 and continuing until May, 2007. Meehan knew that the marijuana he supplied was being provided to the Shannon/York/Quast organization. Meehan was paid for his assistance. Meehan knew that it was marijuana he and his associates were arranging to be smuggled
into the United States, and profited from its international transportation.
Meehan timely entered a guilty plea to Conspiracy to Import Marijuana, as charged
in Count 1 of the Indictment, but to a lesser-included, reduced quantity of more than
100 kg of marijuana.
Vancouver Police officers who shot to death a mentally ill man in 2007 will be subjected to several new investigations after a video emerged of the fatal shooting.
A wounded Paul Boyd is shown crawling towards police when additional rounds are fired at him.
The B.C. Civil Liberties says the video shows that Boyd was no threat to the officers when the fatal shots were fired.
The disturbing video evidence came from a bystander who happened to be in the area.
Here’s our story:
The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team, which investigates allegations involving officers in that province, will review the new evidence, the Vancouver police and the B.C. government announced Tuesday.
Homicide investigators are on the scene of a possible murder in the 11700-block of Carshill Street.
Sgt. Jennifer Pound, of the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team, said Ridge Meadows RCMP received a 911 call just after 2:15 am Monday about a male in medical distress.
First responders performed CPR on a 59-year-old resident of the home, but he was pronounced deceased a short time later.
“It appears that the victim may have been involved in some sort of domestic incident prior to his death. Investigators are attempting to determine the relevance of this incident and any connections it may have with his death,” Pound said.
Although an autopsy will be required to determine the victim’s cause of death, investigators are treating this as a homicide investigation, she said.
There have been no arrests made at this point and investigators will be working throughout the day to process the scene and obtain further evidence.
If anyone knows anything, could you please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org?
Also, Vancouver Police reported overnight that there had been a drive-by shooting in the 3000-block of East 54th Avenue.
Police were called to the area about 1:15 am and they found several shell casings in a large grassy area in the block. Const. Lindsey Houghton said an extensive search of the surrounding neighbourhood failed to turn up any suspects, property damage, and no one has been reported injured.
Anyone with information is asked to call 604-717-2541 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
It now seems comments are up and running normally. If anyone has any issue, they could email me about the problem. Thanks.
We heard a little last fall about Project Faril, an RCMP investigation out of Saskatchewan into a B.C.-based drug smuggling operation.
At the time, three Vernon-area men, including alleged kingpin Brock Palfrey, were arrested and charged in connection with the investigation involving police on both sides of the border.
Palfrey and several of his Canadian co-accused are still awaiting trial in Swift Current.
But other Canadians charged in the case on the U.S. side have now pleaded guilty and been sentenced.
The latest is Chris Chambers, a 27-year-old Vernon man who was a childhood friend of Palfrey’s. He was handed a five-year sentence in Montana Monday – less than the 10-year minimum for cocaine exportation. But he got a break because he was a first-time offender and had lots of family support. He also pleaded guilty.
Here’s my story:
In March, an Edmonton man named Greg German got a seven and a half year sentence in Montana. He had moved to L.A. for the drug ring and was a tester of samples of cocaine, according to U.S. Court documents which describe the ring as the “Palfrey Drug Smuggling Organization.”
Two Montreal men caught in a reverse sting by police in B.C. investigating the murder of journalist Tara Singh Hayer will be sentenced Wednesday.
Federal prosecutor Martha Devlin told a B.C. Supreme Court judge Monday that Bruno Diquinzio, 46, should get a 14-year term for his involvement in a plot to traffic more than 50 kilograms of cocaine.
He thought the coke was coming from a man well-connected to cartels in South America. In fact, the broker was an undercover RCMP officer posing as a drug importer in a complex investigation into the an attempt on the life of Tara Singh Hayer in 1986.
Devlin pointed to Diquinzio’s long criminal record, dating back to 1989. He has drug trafficking and weapons convictions, as well as one for possession of explosives. And she noted that similar reverse stings have led to long sentences, like the 12-year one recently handed to Jarrod Bacon.
Diquinzio’s lawyer Angela Rinaldis painted a very different portrait of her client. She said he was gainfully employed until is 2008 arrest in this case. She read moving letters from his wife and teenaged daughter, as well as a sister and nephew. He was managing the family’s real estate holdings in Montreal, Rinaldis said. And he had a gym he opened in 1995. He studied economics and political science at Concordia for three years and wanted to be a corporate lawyer before he went into the family business instead. And then there was his successful acting career – he once played a mobster in a Quebec TV series.
Here’s my full story:
Diquinzio and his co-accused Jean Gaetan Gingras will both be sentenced Wednesday. Gingras was the target of the undercover sting. He admitted to the undercover cop that he arranged a bomb placed outside Hayer’s Surrey newspaper office in January 1986. He said it was to scare Hayer on behalf of a Montreal man in the terrorist Babbar Khalsa. Gingras has not been charged in the attempted bombing.
A man arrested in a Surrey Earl’s with a Glock inside his black Louis Vuitton purse should serve the mandatory three year minimum for his conviction, a prosecutor argued Friday.
Crown Lesley Ruzicka told Surrey Provincial Court Judge James Bahen that the circumstances surrounding Glenn Harley Sheck’s conviction for possession of a loaded prohibited firearm warranted the mandatory prison term.
“Mr. Sheck had the weapon concealed on his person in a busy restaurant,” Ruzicka said Friday as Sheck and his supporters sat in the public gallery.
“He was in the community moving about, possessing a loaded firearm and concealing that firearm.”
Ruzicka noted that across Canada, judges have been weighing in on the increasing problem firearms – and handguns in particular – pose to public safety.
Sheck’s defence lawyer Elizabeth Lewis is asking that the mandatory three-year sentence be ruled unconstitutional as cruel and unusual punishment and a violation of Sheck’s Charter right to liberty.
If the minimum is struck down, a more appropriate term would be closer to 18 months, Lewis said.
So far in B.C., no judge has struck down any of the tougher mandatory firearms sentences implemented by the federal government in 2008. But the mandatory minimum terms have been ruled unconstitutional in three Ontario cases in recent months.
Ruzicka said Friday in her sentencing submissions that the Ontario cases were not similar in circumstance to that of Sheck, who put the public at risk when he brought his loaded Glock into the Earl’s on 152nd Street near 101st about 7 p.m. on Nov. 3, 2010.
The fact Sheck, 31, was in a busy public place with a loaded hidden gun is an aggravating factor at sentencing, Ruzicka said.
In a pre-trial ruling last February, Bahen laid out details of the 2010 police investigation that led to Sheck’s arrest.
Police were following him in November 2010 because he was a suspect in the attempted murder a few months earlier of his former spouse’s new boyfriend, Bahen noted in the earlier ruling.
And the Gang Task Force had received a tip from confidential informant that Sheck often carried a gun in his black Louis Vuitton man-purse, Bahen said.
Sheck has never been charged in the June 2010 attempted murder and had no prior criminal record until the firearms conviction.
While no evidence of Sheck’s gang associations was led by Crown during Friday’s hearing, the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit’s gang squad was stationed outside Sheck’s courtroom.
And during the morning break, Sheck had a friendly chat with gangster Sukh Dhak, who stopped by the Surrey courthouse with an associate despite not having a scheduled appearance.
The Vancouver Sun documented Sheck’s presence last May at the funeral of international cocaine smuggler Tom Gisby, who was gunned down in Mexico.
Bahen reserved his decision on Sheck’s sentencing until Jan. 3, 2013.
The family of slain Surrey teen Maple Batalia is holding a candlelight vigil Friday to mark the first anniversary of her murder.
And the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team continues to make progress in the high-profile death, despite no charges being laid so far.
I spoke to Maple’s devastated mother Sarbjit Thursday. Choking back tears she described how raw the family’s pain still is. But she is also confident police will lay charges.
IHIT Sgt. Jennifer Pound said Thursday that Batalia’s “heinous killing shocked the community and forced a loving family to forever deal with this tragic and unnecessary loss.”
And she urged anyone with information about the killing to call IHIT.
“We know there are people within the community that have not come forward to the police. We want to reach those individuals and ask them to look at the devastation this murder has caused. We want to ask those individuals to do the noble thing and come forward, ” Pound said.
She said Batalia’s family deserved justice “for this young girl who was beautiful inside and out.”
The 19-year-old model and student was gunned down as she left a late-night study session at Simon Fraser University’s Surrey campus.
Ten months ago, police seized a 2011 white Dodge Charger that investigators believe was used by the killer or killers the night of the murder.
Friday’s vigil will be held at 7 pm at Surrey’s Holland Park located at 13428 Old Yale Road – just two blocks from where Batalia died.
People looking for more information should check out the family’s memorial page here:
Here’s my full story:
Ronaldo Lising is suing the federal government, saying his Charter rights were violated when prison officials at Mission Institution illegally recorded 85 calls between him and three lawyers last year.
Lising made the discovery after his wife did an Access to Information request to get copies of intercepted calls between her husband, before he was released on day parole last May, and others.
When she got the CD, there were intercepted calls between Lising and lawyers, which is a violation of the Criminal Code and his Charter rights, his suit alleges.
Here’s my story:
I have called the Correctional Service of Canada for response to this suit and I will post that response as soon as I get it.
Sukh Dhak’s long-awaited trial on three drug-related charges finally began in B.C. Supreme Court Wednesday, more than four years after he was arrested.
He and his co-accused, Baljit Pabla and Neville Rankin, stood up and pleaded not guilty to production of ecstasy, conspiracy to produce ecstasy and possession for the purpose of trafficking.
The trial is expected to have 25 Crown witnesses and last five weeks.
Here’s my story:
Notorious gangster Sukh Dhak behind large-scale drug lab, court hears
Notorious gangster Sukh Dhak was the mastermind behind a large-scale drug lab where police found close to 18,500 ecstasy pills, B.C. Supreme Court heard Wednesday.
Prosecutor Sharon Steele laid out the Crown’s anticipated evidence against Dhak and co-accused Baljit Pabla and Neville Rankin in her opening statement to Justice Gail Dickson.
“The Crown’s theory of the case is that Mr. Dhak was directing this operation, giving instructions to Mr. Pabla and Mr. Rankin as well as supplying … ingredients,” Steele said.
She said the drug production was in the basement of a house on Rupert Street in Vancouver, where “police discovered a pill press suitable for pressing ecstasy powder into tablets.”
“Bags of ecstasy, ketamine and other powders were located in the basement and I expect that the evidence will also show that approximately 18,500 pressed pills were discovered in that basement,” she said.
Dhak, Pabla and Rankin all stood up and entered not guilty pleas as the trial opened in the Vancouver Law Courts after months of pre-trial hearings. Each is charged with conspiracy to produce ecstasy, production of ecstasy and possession of ecstasy for the purpose of trafficking.
The trio and six others were charged in the fall of 2008 after a lengthy undercover operation by Delta Police dubbed Project Gateway, in which police said they seized more than $2-million worth of marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, cash and automatic weapons. Other accused are being tried separately.
Steele said the evidence in her case will include items seized during several searches in March 2008, as well as wiretap, surveillance and expert testimony.
“I suspect the evidence against Mr. Dhak will include intercepted calls, and surveillance which places him at 1956 Rupert Street,” she said. “
When Dhak, as well as his Surrey home were searched, “police located items which are often associated with drug trafficking as well as a few ecstasy pills similar in appearance to those discovered at Rupert Street,” Steele said.
She said Pabla was the worker at the ecstasy lab and was captured on both surveillance and in wiretaps while involved in the criminal enterprise.
Rankin, also known as Aussie, “was involved in both the actual production of the pills, as well as with obtaining, repairing and doing mechanical work on the pill presses,” Steele said.
She said she expects to call 25 witnesses during the trial, expected to last five weeks.
The case is being held in the high-security courtroom 67, built for the trial of several men associated with the United Nations gang charged with conspiring to kill the Bacon brothers. That trial is expected to start in 2013.
Dhak was the subject of a special public warning last year by the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit, which said anyone associated with him could be at risk. His brother Gurmit was gunned down at Metrotown in October 2010, in a targeted hit that police say was the flashpoint for gang conflicts still playing out two years later.
Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Notorious+gangster+Sukh+Dhak+behind+large+scale+drug+court/7442190/story.html#ixzz2AHGhoo5U